Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lets act now.

I recently read a write-up about child labour and the state of children who live in the street. I have a child of my own and it pains me to see children begging on the street. I feel ashamed to walk past them. If I give them money I don’t know if that would encourage them to beg more. What if they use it for drugs or does this money even go to them or does it go to the CEO of the begging scam? If I walk past them – I shudder to think of what I will go through if my child was, god-forbid, ever in that situation even for a minute. But what do I do. There are thousands of children begging on the street. Where do I take them? Are shelter homes any good. Don’t they exploit these children? And how will these shelter homes accommodate them? I do not have the space to house these kids – but I want to help.

The author in the write-up spoke of the govt having the funds to help these kids. But, my question, as is all our question- are they really bothered? Have they set up any information to say the least in place to direct funds and resources to help these children? How come in the past oh-so-many-years there has been no single govt. or politician who has ever ever been nominated for “Hero of the year” or any such award that’s been handed out to people helping and reaching out. This despite the fact that they have the power, money and all the resources. Politicians ride on the fact and courage that the common man – individuals who care and want to make a difference don’t have much time in their hands. You and I can go and ask for action but how many days will we stand and demand. Our own work and pressures pulls us back.

Spreading awareness constantly and consistently, educating children and adults on the plight of these children and ways in which they can help and sorry to say but glamourizing the whole 'reach out' act could be the way out. If it is fashionable to be seen as someone who cares and someone who makes a positive difference in a child's life – then you will have half the politicians working on this. For the rest - individuals with no money but all the heart – will take care.

p.s – Can we start a “Save our children” week where NGOs and volunteers can set up stalls in the most prominent places and educate people on how to help. Right from street plays to raise awareness, to campaigns to education – lets do it all. Lets dedicate one week to give these kids a better life – a reason to smile. If anyone can advise me or offer help please contact me at harinibala@yahoo.com.
Lets make a difference – NOW.



No comments:

Post a Comment